top of page
Flooded home

Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) in response to the rising cost of taxpayer funded disaster relief for flood victims and the increasing amount of damage caused by floods.

The Mitigation Division which is a component of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) manages the NFIP and
overlooks the floodplain management and mapping components of the program.

Over 20,000 communities across the USA participates in the NIFP, adopting and enforcing floodplain management ordinances to reduce future flood damage.
Flood damage is reduced by nearly $1 billion yearly through partnerships with communities insurance industry and the lending industry. Also, buildings constructed in compliance with building standards suffer about 80% less damage annually than those not built on compliance.

For secured financing to buy, build or improve structures in Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), you will be required to purchase flood insurance.   Lending institutions that are federally registered and insured must determine if the structure is located in a SFHA.

Flood insurance is available to any property owner located in a community participating in NIFP. Flooding can be caused by heavy raining, melting snow, inadequate drainage systems and failed protective devices such as levees and dams, as well as, tropical storms and hurricanes.



Floods are the most widespread and common of all natural disasters - except fire. Many communities in the United States have experienced some sort of flooding, due to rainfalls, thunderstorms, or winter snow thaws.

As defined by the National Flood Insurance Program, flood is: "A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is your property) from:

Overflow of inland or tidal waters,

Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source, or a mudflow.

[The] collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar  body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood." hurricanes.


Buy flood insurance. The law may require it, but the laws of nature demand it. Flooding can happen anywhere, anytime.
Everyone lives in a flood zone! The many different flood zones throughout the United States have different levels of risk.

Understand and know your flood zone. This helps you understand the risk of financial loss. Itis also important information to consider when purchasing flood insurance.          

There are other things you can do before a flood to minimize potential loss, to your home and ensure your family's safety, besides insuring your property.

Document all your important possession with a camera or video recorder. In the event your home is flood-damaged, these documents will help you file a full flood insurance claim.

Post emergency telephone numbers by the phone.

Keep important documents and irreplaceable personal objects (such as photographs) where they won't get destroyed.

Plan and practice a flood evacuation routine with your family.

If your dryer and washer are in the basement, move them to a masonry or pressure-treated
lumber about 12" above the projected flood elevation.

Install backflow valves or plugs to toilets, drains, and other sewer connections to prevent floodwaters from entering.

Commission a licensed electrician to raise electric components (switches, circuit breakers,
sockets and wiring) about 12" above your home's projected flood elevation.

Anchor fuel tanks. An unanchored tank in your basement can be torn free by flood waters, and
the broken supply line can contaminate your basement.
An unanchored tank outside can be swept downstream, where it can damage other houses.

Place the water heater and furnace on masonry blocks or concrete about 12" above the projected flood elevation.


If your community has been flooded and your property has suffered flood damage try to stay calm and safe.
Follow the instructions below:  

First, if your home has suffered damage, file claim with your flood insurance agent.  

If you are unable to stay in your home, make sure you say where you can be reached.

Take photos of flooded areas of your house to make filing your claim easier. Try to save damaged personal property; place these items outside the home if necessary. An insurance adjuster will need to see what's been damaged in order to
process your claim.

Check for structural damage before re-entering your home. If there is a chance that  the building is collapsing, don't go in there.  

Gas maybe trapped inside, so don't usematches, cigarette lighters or other open flames if you go inside your property. In
the event you smell gas or hear hissing, open a window, leave quickly, and call the gas company from a neighbor's home.

Shut the power off until an electrician has inspected your system for safety.

Check for water line and sewage damage. If there are signs of damage, avoid using the toilets and the tap and call a plumber.

Boil water for drinking and food preparation until local authorities declare your water supply to be safe.  

Food , including can goods, that has come in contact with floodwaters should be thrown away.

Follow local building codes and ordinances when rebuilding. Use flood-resistant materials and techniques to protect your
property from future flood damage.


One of the most crucial things to do to protect your home and family before a flood is to purchase a flood insurance policy.

You can buy your flood insurance by just our calling our office at (718) 848-7610 and speak to one our qualified agent or visit our office at 108-05 Liberty Avenue,
Richmond Hill, NY 11419.

Flood insurance is guaranteed through the National Flood Insurance Program
(NFIP), administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Your homeowner's insurance does not cover flood damage.

Don't wait until you're hit by a flood to purchase your policy. It regularly takes 30 days after purchase for a flood insurance policy to go into effect.

It's an excellent idea to have the same agent who writes your homeowners or other insurances to write your flood
insurance policy so that in the event you need to file a claim, you have to deal with only one insurance agency


You can pay the full annual premium for flood insurance with a credit card (we accept all major credit cards).
You can also pay by cash, check or money order

Call 718 848-7610 for your free price quote!

Insurance services provided by Stanley K. Raj
Main Street / New York Inc. Insurance Services
108-05 Liberty Avenue Richmond Hill, NY 11419
Fax: 718-848-1375
Email :
Licensed by the State of New York
License No.: BR860-300

bottom of page